I have research interests in social and cognitive aspects of emotion, the impact of attitudes on behaviour, attitude change processes, and social identity. I studied Psychology and Sociology at the University of Bristol and gained my PhD in Social Psychology from the University of Sussex. I have held positions at the University of Sussex, the University of Manchester, the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Amsterdam, and the University of Cambridge. I have been Chief Editor of the British Journal of Social Psychology, and Associate Editor of Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Cognition and Emotion, the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, and Psychological Science. I have served as Secretary and President of the European Association of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Intergroup Relations
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Self and Identity
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Manstead, A. S. R., Frijda, N. H., & Fischer, A. H. (Eds.). (2004). Feelings and emotions: The Amsterdam Symposium. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Parkinson, B., Fischer, A. H., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2005). Emotion in social relations: Cultural, group, and interpersonal processes. New York: Psychology Press.
- Conner, M., Lawton, R., Parker, D., Chorlton, K., Manstead, A. S. R., & Stradling, S. G. (2007). Application of the theory of planned behaviour to the prediction of objectively assessed breaking of posted speed limits. British Journal of Psychology, 98, 429-453.
- Daughters, K., Manstead, A. S. R., ten Velden, F., & De Dreu, C. (2017). Oxytocin modulates third-party sanctioning of selfish and generous behavior within and between groups. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 77, 18-24.
- Easterbrook, M. J., Kuppens, T., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2016). The education effect: Higher educational qualifications are robustly associated with beneficial personal and socio-political outcomes. Social Indicators Research, 126, 1261-1298.
- Evers, C. A. M., Fischer, A. H., Rodriguez Mosquera, P. M., & Manstead, A. S.R. (2005). Anger and social appraisal: A “spicy” sex difference? Emotion, 5, 258-266.
- Krumhuber, E., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2009). Can Duchenne smiles be feigned? New evidence on felt and false smiles. Emotion, 9, 807-820.
- Krumhuber, E., Manstead, A. S. R., Cosker, D., Marshall, D., Rosin, P. L., & Kappas, A. (2007). Facial dynamics as indicators of trustworthiness and cooperative behavior. Emotion, 7, 730-735.
- Kuppens, T., Easterbrook, M. J., Spears, R., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2015). Life at both ends of the ladder: Education-based identification and its association with well-being and social attitudes. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 41, 1260-1275.
- Livingstone, A. G., Spears, R., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2009). Illegitimacy and identity threat in (inter)action: Predicting intergroup orientations among minority group members. British Journal of Social Psychology, 48, 755-775.
- Maio, G. R., Verplanken, B., Stroebe, W., Manstead, A. S. R., Abraham, C., Sheeran, P., & Conner, M. (2007). Social psychological factors in lifestyle change and their relevance to policy. Social Issues and Policy Review, 1, 99-137.
- Rodriguez Mosquera, P. M., Fischer, A. H. Manstead A. S. R., & Zaalberg R. (2008). Attack, disapproval, or withdrawal? The role of honor in anger and shame responses to being insulted. Cognition and Emotion, 22, 1471-1498.
- Scheepers, D., Spears, R., Manstead, A. S. R., & Doosje, B. (2009). The influence of discrimination and fairness on collective self-esteem. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 506-515.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2004). The interpersonal effects of anger and happiness in negotiations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 57-76.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2004). The interpersonal effects of emotions in negotiations: A motivated information processing approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 87, 510-528.
- Van der Schalk, J., Kuppens, T., Bruder, M., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2015). The social power of regret: The effect of social appraisal and anticipated emotions on fair and unfair allocations in resource dilemmas. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 144, 151-157.
- Wagner, U., Galli, L., Schott, B. H., Wold, A., van der Schalk, J., Manstead, A. S. R., Scherer, K. & Walter, H. (2015). Beautiful friendship: Social sharing of emotions improves subjective feelings and activates the neural reward circuitry. Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 10(6), 801-808.
- Manstead, A. S. R., & Fischer, A. H. (2001). Social appraisal: The social world as object of and influence on appraisal processes. In K. R. Scherer, A. Schorr, & T. Johnstone (Eds.), Appraisal Processes in Emotion: Theory, Research, Application (pp. 221-232). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Manstead, A. S. R., & Parker, D. (1995). Evaluating and extending the theory of planned behaviour. In W. Stroebe and M. Hewstone (Eds.), European Review of Social Psychology (Vol. 6, pp. 69-95). Chichester: Wiley.
- Van Kleef, G. A., De Dreu, C. W., & Manstead, A. S. R. (2010). An interpersonal approach to emotion in social decision making: The Emotions as Social Information Model. In M. P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 42, pp. 45-96). Burlington, VT: Academic Press.
School of Psychology
Tower Building, Park Place
Cardiff CF10 3AT
- Phone: +44 29-2087 0139
- Fax: +44 29-2087 4858